In the aftermath of yet another mass shooting, the media is awash with people passionately pushing the need for Red Flag Laws, otherwise known as “Extreme Risk Protection Orders”. Americans, patriots, and people who truly admire the unique freedoms that this country offers must consider 3 crucial things:
1. What exactly are Red Flag Laws?
2. What freedoms or rights would they actually harm?
3. What should happen when a lawmaker votes yes on a Red Flag Law?
“More people have died! We must stop this!”
What are they?
According to Wikipedia: In the United States, a red flag law is a gun violence prevention law that permits police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present a danger to others or themselves. A judge makes the determination to issue the order based on statements and actions made by the gun owner in question. Refusal to comply with the order is punishable as a criminal offense. After a set time, the guns are returned to the person from whom they were seized [provided the person has appeared in court and proven to the judge’s best judgement that he is not a threat]
The definition is the same according to the New York Times.
The definition is also the same according to CNN.
Essentially it goes like this: 1. Someone has a problem with you or dislikes you. 2. They know you have guns. 3. They report to the police that you pose a “potential threat” to yourself, them, or someone else. 4. The judge issues a warrant to have your guns confiscated. 5. You find out when the police come to your door and take your guns. 6. They see you have kids and report you to Child Protection Services and you lose your kids for at least a year until you can prove that you aren’t a danger to society. 7. You lose your reputation, guns, kids, and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees.
- The judge will decide whether to believe the accusations represent a “credible threat” or not.
The rights that are violated are these:
- Freedom of Speech – Amendment 1 – The Constitution forbids the making of a law that will abridge ones right to say whatever they want…even if you don’t like what they say, or if what they say scares you.
- Right to bear arms – Amendment 2 – The right of the people to keep and bear arms to be able to form a militia that could defend against the government soldiers of the time shall not be infringed. This means rifles that the common soldier carries.
- Freedom from search and seizure – Amendment 4 – This means the right to personal property that the government cannot take away merely because another citizen thinks you shouldn’t have it
- The right to due process – Amendment 5 – the right to not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without a formal accusation of a crime being committed, evidence presented in a court case, and a fair trial by a jury of your peers.
- Right to a public trial when a CRIME has been committed – Amendment 6 – Red Flag laws order a hearing BEFORE a crime has been committed.
- Innocent until proven guilty – Amendment 7 – the right to a trial by jury is waved, no trial is allowed because a crime has not yet been committed, it is completely up to the judges whims.
What should happen when a lawmaker votes yes on Red Flag Gun Laws:
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
IT IS THEIR RIGHT,
IT IS THEIR DUTY,
TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT
and to provide new Guards for their future security.–Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.”
Simply put, if this happens and we don’t rise up with rifles and execute those treasonous tyrants who attempted to take away our God given rights with the stroke of a pen, then we have become slaves.
Do I advocate for violence or Civil War if this hypothetical event becomes Federal Law?
DAMN RIGHT I DO. So should EVERY citizen who dares to call themselves FREE.
This was once a free nation that I swore an oath to defend. I pray we don’t succumb.